Many thanks to those of you that gave us feedback on the recent trial of the new Copac user interface. We really appreciate the time you put into testing and responding to us through the feedback form, email, and twitter.
I’ve summarised the feedback below:
- In general you gave an enthusiastic response to the new interface design, including positive comments on the layout and workflow. Those who tried it on mobile devices were pleased with the how it came out.
- There were also positive comments about the range of features, with the availability of the holding library list on the initial search result listing being particularly popular.
- The grey ‘colour scheme’ generated a number of comments. Some people liked it but others definitely didn’t! The lack of colour on the site was to try and avoid getting too much comment on the graphics as opposed to the functionality of the new interface, so it won’t be staying monochrome.
- There were individual comments about wording, screen elements, or requests for additional features, which are all valuable in helping us refine the presentation and facilities.
- Amongst those who didn’t like the new interface the major concern was the lack of the ‘Main search’ screen with its range of detailed search options. Whilst the initial test was working just with the Quick search, we can reassure that we always intended to reintroduce the other search screens once we had feedback on the overall design. This obviously wasn’t as clear as we’d hoped.
We are continuing to work on the interface, reassured that we are moving in the right direction for most of you. In the next stage we’ll be incorporating colour as well as adding the missing search screens. We will also be making changes in response to comments or requests relating to individual features, as well as ensuring that it works well for as wide a range of browsers and devices as possible.
You’ll be able to try out the new interface again in a few months time and provide input into the final version before the work is completed.