Search history & a stateless interface

One of the things I’d like to do for Copac is to re-write the code behind the web based user interface. The current architecture was designed to work with a Z39.50 server and I now consider it to be too complex. This makes it hard to debug when things go wrong and the complexity of it means that things do go wrong.

So, I’d like to move the interface over to a REST based stateless interface that talks dircectly to the database without going through our Z39.50 interface. This should decrease the time to produce a response after a user hits the search button and should be more reliable.

What I wasn’t too sure about, until now, was how we would incorporate Copac’s Search History feature into a stateless, REST based, interface. The answer came to me during the small hours this morning. We can put the searches into the same Atom Publishing Protocol (APP) repository that we plan to use for the Marked List. (The Search History and Marked List would be separate collections within the repository and so wouldn’t be mixed up together.)

The advantages of this are: the user can have an Atom feed of their searches, they can tag and annotate their searches and generally manipulate their search history by deleting and editing entries through APP client software. We might also be able to include searches from other services. I think such a search history would work for any REST based service. So if we can move other Mimas services, such as Zetoc and the Archives Hub over to a REST based interface, then a user could potentially have, in one place, an archive of all the searches they have performed over a number of different services.

One thought on “Search history & a stateless interface

1. Pingback: Copac Beta : new search urls at Copac Developments