This morning we released a new version of the Copac database. Internally the database is based around a MODS XML record. This makes it much easier for us to provide COinS, show records with non-Roman scripts, provide more download formats and generally improves our life by making the records a lot easier to work with. There is now much more scope for us to provide new facilities in the future.
We have tried to keep the user interface compatible with the old one, though we have introduced a few new features. One new feature is the ability to mark records across multiple result sets and then download all the marked records in one go.
We know some people embed our search URLs in their web pages and we have tried to maintain compatibility across the various versions of our web interface going back over 10 years. If we have broken any old URLs let us know and we’ll fix it if we can.
The records delivered by our Z39.50 service have changed. And again, we have tried to make the Z39.50 SUTRS and GRS-1 records compatible with the ones delivered from the old database. The XML record served by Z39.50 is now a MODS record, which should be much more useful to other services that are using our records. Hopefully the MODS record will be so useful, that people will eventually stop using the other record formats.