The history of the University can be traced back to 1843 when the Sheffield School of Design was founded. In 1969 a number of colleges merged to form Sheffield City Polytechnic. In 1992 it became Sheffield Hallam University. More information about the history of the institution can be found here: www.shu.ac.uk/about-us/our-history.
Sheffield Hallam University’s Library Service holds over 520,000 physical books, 207,000 e-books and 74,000 e-journal titles in its collections. The service is delivered over two libraries, one at each campus.
The Adsetts Library, based at City Campus, is the largest library and houses material that supports the wide range of subjects taught on the campus. It also houses a number of special collections.
The Collegiate Library is approximately 1 mile from the city centre and houses material that supports the teaching at Collegiate Campus. This is primarily nursing and allied health, psychology, law and sports sciences.
Collection areas include:
- The Teaching Practice collection
- The TESOL collection
- The Special Collection (includes a Festival of Britain collection and material related to the Sheffield School of Art)
- The Readership and Literary Cultures Collection
- Film Studies, and Art and Design material
- The Corvey Collection
For more information see Sheffield Hallam’s library information page on Copac.
To browse their records, select the Main Search tab on Copac and choose ‘Sheffield Hallam University’ from the list of libraries.